MK Irish 2-0 Easington Sports

First Team

2 Aug 22

Goals from R. Smith and Ajigbolanu seal a home victory...

By Dom Domaingue

Share This Post

Milton Keynes Irish claimed our first victory of the season after a 2-0 win at home to Banbury based side Easington Sports. 

A screamer from Ryan Smith opened the scoring just before the 40 minute mark, before striker Oluwanimilo Ajigbolamu poked home from close range to wrap up the game just before half time. 

After a balanced to start to proceedings, Easington Sports so nearly took the lead in style after five minutes as J. Fountain picked up the ball on the edge of the box and whipped a fierce effort that struck the far post. 

There was another early let off for Irish as a free header from a corner looked to be heading for the top corner before floating just wide.

Irish had Kyeremateng and Beecher to thank for keeping the score level as Easington continued to apply pressure in the opening 20 minutes. 

First it was captain Eyre who did well to beat the defence, finding himself through on goal before an excellent save from Kyeremateng after the attempted chipped finish. 

Just a minute or so later a through ball saw striker Peters through on goal, where he skilfully rounded the Irish keeper, leaving an empty net to roll the ball into. Fortunately for the home side, his effort lacked power and the well positioned Beecher was there to get back and clear off the line 

After surviving the sustained period of pressure, fortunes started to turn in Irish’s favour as they grew back into the game. 

It was Ajigbolamu who carved out the first chance as Irish stepped it up, powerfully driving through the Easington back line and squaring for Lawless, who had it nicked off his right foot just before striking at goal. 

Ten minutes before half time, Irish grabbed the lead and their first goal of the season in memorable fashion. 

Midfielder Ryan Smith battled through a couple of challenges, dropped a shoulder, finding himself 30 yards out and unleashing a rocket of a left footed strike that beat the Easington keeper and nestled in the top corner. A wonderful effort for his first MK Irish goal. 

Buoyed by the opener, Irish now looked confident going forward and another burst forward by Ajigbolamu, this time down the right, caused the visiting defence problems. 

The chance seemed to have fizzled out as the defence regrouped and won the ball, but right back Shaheim Ward hadn’t given it up and pinched the ball back, cut it back to Ajigbolamu who beat the last defender and poked it past the oncoming keeper and into the far corner to make it 2-0. 

Irish now wouldn’t have wanted the half to end and came so close to effectively putting the game to bed before the break. 

The influential Ajigbolamu found himself in space down the left this time, with only one man back for Easington. The forwards decision making was spot on as he opted to lay it into the path of Lawless, rushing in to the box in acres of room, however his shot was saved brilliantly by the keeper who stopped what had looked a certain goal. 

Easington benefited from the break as the game took a much scrappier turn early in the second half, with chances hard to come by in a quiet 45 minutes. 

Kyeremateng’s only action after half time came within the first ten minutes, getting down well at his near post to claim a shot from the edge of the box. 

Irish substitute Lloyd Echcharki had the only home sight of goal of the second period, latching on to a ball down the right and shooting across goal, it was turned away well by the keeper. 

The final whistle went as MK Irish claimed their first points of the season, after showing brilliant resilience to resist the early Easington pressure and claim an eventually comfortable 2-0 victory.