MK Irish 3-1 Biggleswade United

First Team

14th October 2023

A first half blitz sees Irish claim three points...

By Dom Domaingue

Share This Post

DSC 4905

Three first half goals saw MK Irish through to all three points at home to Biggleswade United on Saturday afternoon. 

Andre Olukanmi didn’t know too much about it but opened the scoring early on after blocking a clearance from the opposing goalkeeper, before Clinton Zawe’s header and Mason Spence’s cool finish rounded off an excellent first half. 

Biggleswade came out much stronger in the second half after initially being totally outclassed, clawing one back around the hour mark and tried unsuccessfully to build on the goal, ultimately becoming a consolation as Irish claimed the win and leapfrogged their opponents in the table.

The scoring was opened less than five minutes in and it came out of nowhere. Charging down an attempted clearance from Biggleswade’s keeper was Andre Olukanmi, managing to get a block in which flew into the net.

Irish built well on the first goal and kept up sustained pressure on the opposition, dominating the ball and looking dangerous going forwards. 

After a difficult victory over Arlesey on Tuesday it looked as if Terry Shrieves’ side were keen to wrap this one up  as early as possible – and fifteen minutes in it was two. 

Ty Ward’s corner was whipped in perfectly, finding Clinton Zawe on the edge of the six yard box who nodded into the bottom left corner.

The chances continued to flow and Biggleswade were very fortunate not to concede a third soon after. 

George Shrieves cross in from the right was driven powerfully across the face of goal, finding Mason Spence’s outstretched leg but his effort from just a couple of yards out crashed off the underside of the bar and into the keepers grateful arms.

On the stroke of half time it was the same combination and this time they punished Biggleswade. 

Again breaking past defenders down the right was Shrieves, this time cutting back a low cross for Spence who stroked a wonderful right footed shot into the top left corner, making it 3-0 to cap off the perfect first half.

IMG 6413

The opening fifteen minutes of the second half were in stark contrast to what had been seen before, as Irish came out of the blocks slowly. 

Biggleswade looked a lot more assured in possession and after a brilliant piece of individual play they were back in the game.

Picking the ball up back to goal on the edge of the box, it was flicked up over the Irish defence and latched onto by the same Biggleswade forward who converted to make it 3-1.

The visitors continued to apply pressure and with 20 minutes to go they had a second goal ruled out for offside – a let off for Irish that would’ve set up a tense finish.

Irish’s first real chance of the half fell to Shrieves with ten minutes to go, played through on goal by Spence on a quick counter attack but seeing his shot deflected and spinning just wide. 

As the game entered the closing stages Biggleswade’s attempts to find another goal tailed off as Irish slowed proceedings down and kept hold of the ball, seeing it out until full time to claim the victory.