MK Irish 7-0 Aylesbury Vale Dynamos

First Team

15th August 2023

A 7-star performance from the Irish boys...

By Dom Domaingue

Share This Post

An unbelievable performance from a clinical MK Irish secured a 7-0 victory as they swept away Aylesbury Vale Dynamos on Tuesday night.

George Shrieves’ cool finish across the keeper opened the scoring after 15 minutes, before a Mason Spence hat-trick was wrapped up by a stunning volley from the edge of the area to make it 4-0 before half-time.

The scoring was wrapped up in the second half by Mason Davis, Clinton Zawe and Luke Gardner to seal a commanding performance.

After a slow opening ten minutes the game was sparked into life with Irish’s first effort on goal, which came through Ryan Smith. The central midfielder found space on the right-hand side and cut in on his favoured left foot, before shooting low towards the far corner, forcing the goalkeeper into a good save.

And then just moments later the deadlock was broken, with the space on the right exploited again.

A smart one-two between Spence and Shrieves saw the latter end up with the ball on the halfway line with acres of space to run into in front of him. He drove forwards confidently and looked up to find himself ten yards out, remaining composed as he finished into the far-left corner from a difficult angle to make it 1-0.

Aylesbury Vale appeared rattled after conceding the first and soon after they were the architects of their own downfall. Attempting to play short from a goal kick, the visitor’s centre-backs dropped deep, and the keeper tried to play through the middle of them – right into Callum Hirst’s path.

shrieves celeb
Shrieves is congratulated upon opening the scoring

The ball dropped to Spence, being played comfortably onside and in so much space courtesy of the Aylesbury defenders dropping deep, who had time to take a touch and fire it in to make it 2-0.

MK Irish were totally dominant now and the chances continued to flow.

Causing countless problems on the right was Shrieves, with the away team seemingly unable to track his runs and with ten minutes left of the half he was in again. In a similar position to where he opened the scoring, this time his shot was saved well however the goalkeeper could only parry into the path of Spence, who made it 3-0 after tapping it home.

Mason celebrates
Mason Spence celebrates his hat-trick with some young fans

With a double to his name already, Spence was looking to make it a first-half hat-trick – and he did so in wonderful style.

Crossing in from the left was Andre Olukanmi, finding Spence running on to the ball, who volleyed first time from just inside the area to complete his treble with the best goal of the lot to round off the perfect half for Irish who went in to the break 4-0 up.

Irish’s onslaught at the end of the first half had settled down as they came out for the second, and it was around the 60 minute mark that the first chance for a fifth came through Ryan Smith.

The space seemed to open up for him as he drove through the middle, chopping it back on to his left foot but seeing his shot saved.

Shrieves was next to go close, picking up the ball in an advanced position on the left after Hirst’s tackle before beating a couple of challenges on his way into the box and attempting a shot across goal which was well blocked.

Terry Shrieves started to make changes as the game entered its final 15 minutes. Nat Beecher, Mason Davis, Luke Gardner and Stephen Brooks replaced Liam Smyth, Mason Spence, George Shrieves and Callum Hirst.

The substitutions breathed new life into the game for Irish and their foot was firmly back on the gas as they pressed on looking for more goals.

Crossing a free-kick in from the left was Brooks, aimed in low towards the penalty spot where Davis had made a run into the box, lost his defender and converted first time to make it 5-0.

Full-back Clinton Zawe then got in on the action, somehow popping up in a pocket of space in the box, just left of the penalty spot, he was found by Nathan Smith’s cross in and headed over the keeper into the far corner for 6-0.

Visitors Aylesbury were desperate for the final whistle now but there was still time for Irish to add another.

Perhaps the most well put together move of the night saw Zawe in space, this time back in his right-back position, drilling a ball into the box with so much pace, finding Gardner who’s first time finish was smashed in off the post, making it 7-0 and finishing off the most dominant of displays.

PHOTO 2023 08 15 22 38 22
Hat-Trick Hero Mason Spence with manager Terry Shrieves after being named Man of the Match